This degree is only available to Australian students
You're considered an Australian student if you are any of the following:
- Australian or New Zealand Citizen
- Australian Permanent Resident (including Humanitarian Visa holders)
Study On Demand – a 100% online Commerce (Accounting) degree designed specifically for online learning. Take full control over your study - access support seven days a week, plan your study to fit around your life, view learning resources 24/7, and log into the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
Ranked in the top one per cent worldwide1, we’re one of the largest leading providers of accounting and finance education in Australia and Asia.
This degree will develop your strong business knowledge, and skills in financial and management accounting, taxation, company law, and auditing. You’ll learn about the current economic, legal and political influences affecting global business.
You’ll graduate as a strong communicator, with important reporting, analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills, which will be invaluable to launch or advance your career.
1The UniSA Business School is one of 174 globally to be accredited by EQUIS. There are estimated 16,521 Business Schools worldwide, AACSB, May 2017.
What you'll learn
You will start with core courses in business. These will give you a solid grounding in important areas including:
- accounting and quantitative methods for business
- business law, finance, business intelligence and data management
- economics and marketing principles
You’ll then move into your accounting specialisation, learning skills such as:
- financial and management accounting
- taxation and company law
- sustainability accounting
- global and contemporary accounting issues
- strategic financial analysis
Studying 100% online means you can engage with course materials at your own pace, whenever it suits you – there is no need to be online at a particular time. It’s flexible around your life so you can control your study schedule week by week. As a general rule, we recommend 10 to 15 hours of study a week for each course.
We have some great tools that will help you organise your study schedule. Your personalised learning planner allows you to keep on top of assessments and study workload while managing work and personal commitments.
All assessments, including exams (if required) are 100% online, meaning you’ll never need to travel to submit an assignment or find an exam venue.
Some of your assessments may include:
- an industry-relevant project
- an online presentation
- essays and reports
Please note, courses may not be displayed in order of study.
Study Accounting on Demand
Dr Gerard Stone, Program Director: Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) and Dr Ben Kehrwald, Academic Developer: UniSA Online give an insight into what the Accounting degree is about, and how the degree has been designed to suit busy adults on the go.
Why Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting)
As a UniSA graduate, you can be confident this is a globally competitive degree respected internationally for its quality and relevance to industry.
We work closely with industry and peak professional bodies to ensure that your studies are relevant and respected in the workplace.
As a graduate, you’ll be eligible for membership with CPA Australia, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand, the global Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), the Association of International Accountants (AIA), and the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA).
The Business Career Mentor Program helps you build your industry networks and your career. In 2016 we matched over 190 students with business mentors who gained valuable insight from business professionals. The six-month program is offered online and runs from March every year.
Our Centre for Sustainability Governance looks at the practicalities of sustainability from a business perspective, bringing together economists, accountants and finance specialists from a range of backgrounds.
From corporate accounting to government and not-for-profit – there are a variety of career paths available, across all industries. Depending on your interests, you can also choose to specialise in tax, healthcare and environmental accounting. Accounting can also serve as a launching pad for careers in business, consulting, law, education, government, and small-to-medium businesses.
To become a fully qualified accountant you need to be Chartered Accountant (CA) or Certified Practising Accounting) CPA qualified. UniSA Online graduates will be eligible to undertake the CA or CPA program. While you can commence working in an accounting role with an undergraduate degree, employers highly regard professionals with a CA and CPA qualification.
A UniSA Online Accounting degree can help you pursue the following careers:
- Practising accountant: work for the private sector, government or individuals; prepare tax returns; keep accounting systems up-to-date; maintain financial records, and advise on business structures.
- Tax accountant and advisor: compile business and individual tax returns, and provide tax planning advice and strategies.
- Forensic accounting: work in a corporate or regulatory environment to investigate fraud and similar crimes; provide expert evidence, and prepare forensic reports for courts.
- Business advisor: work with new or established businesses; analyse business plans and financial statements; advise on investments, marketing, funding and financial trends; and understand consumer needs to meet business objectives and improve profitability.
- Assurance/risk consultant: ensure financial and operational integrity and compliance; evaluate and report on financial, operational and managerial processes and systems; and work on business process reviews and risk assessments.
- Insolvency and reconstruction: work with stakeholders in cases of personal and business financial distress; administrations and liquidations; and restructure under-performing businesses and turnarounds.
- Management accountant: assist senior management make critical business decisions; prepare forecasts, budgets and risk analysis; and advise managers about the financial implications of business decisions.
The program is accredited by CPA Australia and satisfies the educational requirements for entry into the CPA Program.
The program is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) and recognised for maximum exemptions for an accelerated pathway into CIMA's professional qualification.
This program is recognised for maximum exemptions toward the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants' (ACCA) professional programs of study.
This program is recognised for maximum exemptions toward the Association of International Accountants' (AIA) professional examinations.
Study On Demand
Our online career-focused degrees give you full control and ultimate flexibility over your study. It’s Study On Demand, on your schedule, on your terms.
- 100% online - no need to come onto campus
- Four start dates in January, April, June and September
- Learn in 10-week blocks
- 24/7 access to learning resources
- Online student support services seven days a week
- All content available from the start of your course
- Flexible around your life
- Plan your study schedule ahead of time
- Online credit check
Why UniSA Online?
Our graduates get jobs
You will be studying with a university known for its employment outcomes. Your UniSA degree is more than just a piece of paper – it will prepare you to start your career, or take it to the next level. In fact, UniSA undergraduates studying online have graduate employment rates well above the national average1.
Specifically designed for online learning
Our team of academic and online experts have created interactive and media-rich course material using innovative digital technology and state-of-the-art teaching and learning resources. Every degree has been specifically designed for online learning to ensure you graduate with the skills and knowledge for your future career.
Backed by industry
Every UniSA Online degree is overseen by an experienced industry advisory board. We've also consulted with industry experts with a wealth of experience to design course content that reflects the most cutting-edge developments in your field. Our industry connections will enrich your online study experience - you'll be presented with industry problems that real organisations face. You'll also gain the skills and knowledge that industry are telling us they need in graduates.
Expand your professional network from wherever you are
Online study doesn’t mean studying on your own. You’ll connect with a community of other like-minded students – you’ll be able to share, debate and collaborate ideas through virtual classrooms, online chat, video conferencing, and online communication tools.
1Graduate Outcomes Survey 2017
Studying can be challenging, especially when you’re also juggling work and other life commitments. You’re not studying 9-5, Monday to Friday, which is why we provide personalised, extended hour support services – including on weekends – so you can get help when you need it.
Dedicated Student Adviser support
Our Student Advisers will be an important part of your student journey – they’ll help you enrol, discuss your study goals, communication preferences, and will be your first point of call for all your general study questions. They’ll link you to an extensive range of support services and resources across the University and will help schedule appointments with specialised services if required.
Online tutor support seven days a week
Our tutors specialise in online teaching and will provide highly personalised support tailored to your needs. Along with guidance on assignments, they’ll provide advice on writing and referencing. If you have a question related to your course, you can expect to receive a response within 24 hours. Tutors are available seven days a week, including weeknights.
24/7 tech support
Our IT Help Desk is available 24/7 to provide assistance with your computer set up, student email, software requirements and other UniSA apps and student applications. You’ll be able to get support no matter what time it is.
24/7 digital environment
Our interactive online environment is a one-stop-shop for all your study needs. You’ll be able to track your progress through the student dashboard, plan your study schedule, receive reminders on due dates for tasks and assessments, as well as collaborate and network with a community of other like-minded students.
Using innovative technology in online education, your study experience will be highly personalised based on your learning activities throughout your degree. Just like your own personal study coach, you’ll get tailored feedback to enhance your learning outcomes and ensure you’re successful in your studies.
What others are saying
Dr Gerard Stone
As a general rule of thumb, any desktop or laptop computer purchased in the past three years should be capable of meeting your online learning needs. While mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones will be able to access most of your online course content, there are likely to be elements of most courses where we recommend you use a desktop or laptop computer. Your computer should be able to:
- run a modern browser (Internet Explorer 10, Firefox 24, Safari 5, or Chrome 32 or later versions)
- run Java, and in some cases Flash (devices running on Apple's iOS operating system, such as iPads, iPhones, do not run Flash)
- run programs to create documents, spreadsheets and presentations
- use a web camera and headset (or ear pods with microphone)
- Some UniSA Online degrees require an online exam. The online exam software – Remote Proctor Now – has specific capability requirements. Please refer to the system requirements prior to conducting your exam to ensure your computer is compatible.
Access free IT software and resources
As a UniSA Online student, you'll:
- Get free access to the full Office 365 ProPlus suite, which includes full versions of Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, OneNote, Publisher, Access and Lync software. Install the full suite on up to five different devices (PC and Mac compatible).
- Get 1Tb of personal storage that syncs with your PC or mobile device through OneDrive - it's like an extra hard drive that allows you to open any of your files from any of your devices, whenever you need them.
- Get free access to Lynda.com - Access more than 5000 video courses on a broad range of topics such as: the Microsoft Office suite, time management and study skills, health and wellbeing, communication and presentation skills, photography, film making and designing your own games or mobile apps.
- Be able to connect with others using Skype for Business, Yammer and the Outlook Web App.
There are some degrees that have specialised software requirements. We've made this software available to students to access for free - you'll be able to download and install any of the required programs on your own device anywhere and anytime. See if your degree requires specialised software.
Check your device
Our computer system test will determine if your device has the base system resources and software required to study online. It'll also check the speed of your internet connection.
See if your computer, laptop or device is all set up and ready to go – it takes just a few seconds.
The application process is easy – just follow these simple steps:
- Check your eligibility
Take our eligibility checker and answer a few short questions to see if you’re eligible. You’ll be given an option to continue your application, save it for later or request a call back from a Degree Adviser if you have any questions.
- Receive your conditional offer
Once you complete the eligibility checker, you’ll receive an email with your conditional offer to start studying with UniSA Online. It will have all the information you need to complete your application.
- Complete your application and send through your documents
In order to proceed with your conditional offer, you’ll need to complete your application and provide required evidence of your previous study or work experience.