This degree is only available to Australian students
You're considered an Australian student if you are any of the following:
- Australian or New Zealand Citizen
- Australian Permanent Resident (including Humanitarian Visa holders)
Study On Demand – a 100% online criminal justice degree designed specifically for online learning. Take full control over your study - access support seven days a week, engage with content from day one of your course, view learning resources 24/7, and log into the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
From law enforcement, to the courts and corrections, the criminal justice system plays a crucial role in maintaining, enforcing and administering the law to help promote justice for individuals and the community, as well as reduce and prevent crime.
Informed by the latest thinking and the most up-to-date developments in criminology, you’ll learn current trends in innovative fields like cybercrime, victimology, offender rehabilitation and desistance theory.
Graduate with a holistic understanding of the criminal justice industry and study courses from a range of disciplines including law, policing, applied criminology, psychology, and sociology.
By gaining insights into the roles and functions across the full spectrum of the criminal justice sector, you’ll develop a powerful skill set, and a broad knowledge base to tackle issues from different perspectives.
The knowledge and skills you gain through this degree will open up diverse careers in security and the criminal justice sector at a time when the industry is experiencing steady job growth.
Why Bachelor of Criminal Justice
With increasing attention on national and international security and crime, this degree is your opportunity to learn how to make a difference to the safety and wellbeing of your community, and society at large.
Employers look for graduates who can apply their knowledge and skills to real industry challenges. With a strong focus on applied learning, you’ll learn the same principles, approaches and assessment techniques used across the criminal justice system – so you’ll be ready to hit the ground running, no matter what area you choose to work in.
As a student, you’ll learn key skills that are highly sought after by employers. Develop interpersonal strategies to work with young people, victims of crime and offenders; enhance your analytical skills required of officers and analysts within the field; evaluate crime prevention strategies and techniques, and understand how the criminal justice system impacts Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
If you’re already working in the sector, you’ll be able to put your new skills into practice immediately.
Gain an understanding about the key agencies within the Australian Intelligence Community, how they work together, and the functions they serve. Throughout your studies, you’ll develop strong research, analytical and communication skills required to work in complex criminal justice roles.
Our academics have decades of industry experience. They’ve brought their wealth of knowledge and connections to develop engaging and relevant course content using real and current case studies from the field.
The flexibility of this degree puts you in control of when and where you study. We provide personalised and extended-hour support so you have the best chance to succeed and thrive in your studies.
Criminal justice roles require people who are committed to protecting and improving the safety and wellbeing of individuals and communities. With strong employment growth predicted in the criminal justice sector between now and 20201, this degree will open up many diverse career opportunities.
While many roles are found in local, state and federal government agencies, there are also opportunities to work in local community-based organisations. The Bachelor of Criminal Justice may enhance your career prospects If you are currently working, or have experience in social work, counselling or welfare support. This degree may also particularly relevant to people working as a law enforcement officer, or a security officer/security guard.
It can also help you attain the following careers:
- Policy adviser: conduct environmental scans to identify and develop options to address topical and emerging issues, trends, risks and opportunities in the criminal justice system. Research, analyse and prepare papers, briefings and reports on a range of criminal justice issues
- Strategic policy and planning manager: lead policy development and planning activities to help inform the ways in which criminal justice activities occur. Provide authoritative policy advice on complex and potentially sensitive strategic matters.
- Intelligence and policy analyst: collect and analyse information and data to produce intelligence. Develop and analyse policies to guide the design, implementation and modification of government and commercial operations and programs.
- Correctional services officer: provide support and services to offenders in custody and in the community.
- Child protection officer: respond to the concerns regarding the safety and wellbeing of children and help families strengthen their capacity to provide care and safety for children and other family members.
Study On Demand
Our online career-focused degrees give you full control and ultimate flexibility over your study. It’s Study On Demand, on your schedule, on your terms.
- 100% online - no need to come onto campus
- Four start dates in January, March, June and September
- Learn in bite-sized 10-week blocks
- 24/7 access to learning resources
- Online student support services seven days a week
- All content available from the start of your course
- Flexible around your life
- Plan your study schedule ahead of time
- One minute online credit check
Why UniSA Online?
Our graduates get jobs
You will be studying with a university known for its employment outcomes. Your UniSA degree is more than just a piece of paper – it will prepare you to start your career, or take it to the next level. In fact, we’re ranked in the top ten in Australia for online students who find full time employment1.
Specifically designed for online learning
Our team of academic and online experts have created interactive and media-rich course material using innovative digital technology and state-of-the-art teaching and learning resources. Every degree has been specifically designed for online learning to ensure you graduate with the skills and knowledge for your future career.
Backed by industry
Every UniSA Online degree is overseen by an experienced industry advisory board. We've also consulted with industry experts with a wealth of experience to design course content that reflects the most cutting-edge developments in your field. Our industry connections will enrich your online study experience - you'll be presented with industry problems that real organisations face. You'll also gain the skills and knowledge that industry are telling us they need in graduates.
Expand your professional network from wherever you are
Online study doesn’t mean studying on your own. You’ll connect with a community of other like-minded students – you’ll be able to share, debate and collaborate ideas through virtual classrooms, online chat, video conferencing, and online communication tools.
12015 Department of Education reported data
Studying can be challenging, especially when you’re also juggling work and other life commitments. You’re not studying 9-5, Monday to Friday, which is why we provide personalised, extended hour support services – including on weekends – so you can get help when you need it.
Dedicated Student Adviser support to help with your studies
Every UniSA Online student will have have access to dedicated support by our Student Adviser team, who have specific knowledge about the degree you're enrolled in. It’s what makes the UniSA Online study experience unique from other online providers. You can be confident that by studying with UniSA Online, you’ll be supported by people who genuinely care about your success.
Online tutor support seven days a week
UniSA Online tutors are available to answer your questions seven days a week – even on week nights. Our tutors specialise in online teaching, and will provide highly personalised support tailored to your needs. They’ll provide guidance on your assignments, as well as provide advice on writing and referencing. If you’ve got a question related to your course, you can expect to receive a response in 24 hours.
24/7 tech support
You don’t need to be a tech expert to study online. Our IT Help Desk are on available 24/7 to provide assistance with your computer set up, connection to UniSA wireless, student email and other UniSA Apps and student applications. You’ll be able to get support via a range of channels including online enquiry, email and phone.
24/7 digital environment
Our interactive online environment is a one-stop-shop for all your study needs. You’ll be able to track your progress through the student dashboard, plan your study schedule, receive reminders on due dates for tasks and assessments, as well as collaborate and network with a community of other like-minded students.
Using innovative technology in online education, your study experience will be highly personalised based on your learning activities throughout your degree. Just like your own personal study coach, you’ll get tailored feedback to enhance your learning outcomes and ensure you’re successful in your studies.
What you'll learn
This degree introduces you to a range of contemporary perspectives, approaches and issues in the criminology and criminal justice field. As a Criminal Justice student, you will:
- develop a comprehensive understanding of the criminal justice system and study a mix of courses from different disciplines including social sciences and law;
- explore topics covering policing, offender rehabilitation and desistance, youth justice, social research methods and crime, cybercrime, victimology, as well as gender and sexuality;
- critically analyse crime prevention theories, techniques and crime reduction programs; and
- learn to apply research methods to real industry problems.
You can tailor your degree to your interests and broaden your career prospects with the choice of electives. You can select four electives from any of the UniSA Online degrees.
Studying 100% online means you can engage with course materials at your own pace, whenever it suits you – there is no need to be online at a particular time. It’s flexible around your life so you can control your study schedule week by week. As a general rule, we recommend 10 to 15 hours of study a week for each course.
We have some great tools that will help you organise your study schedule. Your personalised learning planner allows you to keep on top of assessments and study workload while managing work and personal commitments.
All assessments, including exams (if required) are 100% online, meaning you’ll never need to travel to submit an assignment or find an exam venue.
Some of your assessments may include:
- an industry-relevant project
- an online presentation
- essays and reports
Please note, courses may not be displayed in order of study.
As a general rule of thumb, any desktop or laptop computer purchased in the past three years should be capable of meeting your online learning needs. While mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones will be able to access most of your online course content, there are likely to be elements of most courses where we recommend you use a desktop or laptop computer. Your computer should be able to:
- run a modern browser (Internet Explorer 10, Firefox 24, Safari 5, or Chrome 32 or later versions)
- run Java, and in some cases Flash (devices running on Apple's iOS operating system, such as iPads, iPhones, do not run Flash)
- run programs to create documents, spreadsheets and presentations
- use a web camera and headset (or ear pods with microphone)
Access free IT software and resources
As a UniSA Online student, you'll:
- Get free access to the full Office 365 ProPlus suite, which includes full versions of Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, OneNote, Publisher, Access and Lync software. Install the full suite on up to five different devices (PC and Mac compatible).
- Get 1Tb of personal storage that syncs with your PC or mobile device through OneDrive - it's like an extra hard drive that allows you to open any of your files from any of your devices, whenever you need them.
- Get free access to Lynda.com - Access more than 5000 video courses on a broad range of topics such as: the Microsoft Office suite, time management and study skills, health and wellbeing, communication and presentation skills, photography, film making and designing your own games or mobile apps.
- Be able to connect with others using Skype for Business, Yammer and the Outlook Web App.
There are some degrees that have specialised software requirements. We've made this software available to students to access for free - you'll be able to download and install any of the required programs on your own device anywhere and anytime. See if your degree requires specialised software.
Check your device
Our computer system test will determine if your device has the base system resources and software required to study online. It'll also check the speed of your internet connection.
See if your computer, laptop or device is all set up and ready to go – it takes just a few seconds.
The application process is easy – just follow these simple steps:
- Check your eligibility
Take our eligibility checker and answer a few short questions to see if you’re eligible. You’ll be given an option to request a call back, continue your application or save it for later.
- Receive your conditional offer
Once you complete the eligibility checker, you’ll receive an email with your conditional offer to start studying with UnISA Online. It will have all the information you need to complete your application.
- Complete your application and send through your documents
In order to proceed with your conditional offer, you’ll need to complete your application and provide required evidence of your previous study or work experience.
That’s it! Once you hit submit, your application will be assessed within three business days.