This degree is only available to Australian students
You're considered an Australian student if you are any of the following:
- Australian or New Zealand Citizen
- Australian Permanent Resident (including Humanitarian Visa holders)
Study on demand – a 100% online construction management degree designed specifically for online learning. Take full control over your study - access support seven days a week, engage with content from day one of your course, view learning resources 24/7, and log into the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This degree is your gateway to career opportunities in the low rise residential and light commercial buildings sector of the construction industry.
Modern construction is a complex, highly organised commercial industry. It involves large capital investments, sophisticated construction techniques, highly skilled labour and real-time project information systems.
Designed in consultation with our industry partners, the Bachelor of Construction Management will give you the skills for success in this fast-paced industry.
If you successfully complete this degree, you can enter directly into the fourth year of the Bachelor of Construction Management and Economics (Honours) degree.
Study Construction Management on Demand
Study on demand – a 100% online construction management degree designed specifically for online learning. Take full control over your study - access support seven days a week, engage with course content from day one, view learning resources 24/7, and log into the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
Why Bachelor of Construction Management
UniSA is ranked in the World Top 100 for Built Environment1.
Our academics work with some of Australia’s largest organisations, so you’ll be learning from experienced professionals working in the field. They have developed this degree in consultation with industry accreditation bodies, including:
- Australian Institute of Building (AIB)
- Australian Institute of Building Surveyors (AIBS)
- Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (AIQS)
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
While you are studying you can connect with construction companies and develop your networking skills through BOSS (Builders’ Organisation for Students and Staff). BOSS provides training, personal development and industry-based networking opportunities for UniSA students and staff in the construction management and economics disciplines.
1 QS Subject rankings 2017
Employment as a building, architectural and surveying technician in Australia is expected to increase by 10.9 per cent between now and 20201.
Careers to consider:
- construction manager: oversee and allocate resources for construction projects; work with architects and engineers to check plans and blueprints; manage timetables; determine material and labor costs; and liaise with and hiring subcontractors and workers
- estimator: compile cost estimates based on variables such as labour, materials and equipment; work out project costs and create budgets; and analyse different quotes from sub-contractors and suppliers
- construction planner: develop time plans on construction projects so the project is completed safely, on time and within budget; think critically; work with managers and engineers to discuss progress and address issues that arise; and organise the stages of construction development
- quantity surveyor: manage all costs relating to building and civil engineering projects, from initial calculations to final figures; seek to minimise the costs of a project and enhance value for money; and achieve required standards and quality
- building surveyor: ensure buildings are safe to occupy, energy efficient, accessible and meet all legal requirements as a statutory responsibility; assess, certify and inspect building works; work in design, fire safety, energy efficiency and access solutions; and support the legal process as educators and expert witnesses
1 Source: Australian Government Department of Employment, Occupational Employment Projections 2015
Study On Demand
Our online career-focused degrees give you full control and ultimate flexibility over your study. It’s study on demand, on your schedule, on your terms.
- 100% online - no need to come onto campus
- Four start dates in January, March, June and September
- Learn in bite-sized 10 week blocks
- 24/7 access to learning resources
- Online student support services 7 days a week
- All content available from the start of your course
- Flexible around your life
- Plan your study schedule ahead of time
- One minute online credit check
Why UniSA Online?
Our graduates get jobs
You will be studying with a university known for its employment outcomes. Your UniSA degree is more than just a piece of paper – it will prepare you to start your career, or take it to the next level. In fact, we’re ranked in the top ten in Australia for online students who find full time employment1.
Specifically designed for online learning
Our team of academic and online experts have created interactive and media-rich course material using innovative digital technology and state-of-the-art teaching and learning resources. Every degree has been specifically designed for online learning to ensure you graduate with the skills and knowledge for your future career.
Backed by industry
Every UniSA Online degree is overseen by an experienced industry advisory board. We've also consulted with industry experts with a wealth of experience to design course content that reflects the most cutting-edge developments in your field. Our industry connections will enrich your online study experience - you'll be presented with industry problems that real organisations face. You'll also gain the skills and knowledge that industry are telling us they need in graduates.
Expand your professional network from wherever you are
Online study doesn’t mean studying on your own. You’ll connect with a community of other like-minded students – you’ll be able to share, debate and collaborate ideas through virtual classrooms, online chat, video conferencing, and online communication tools.
12015 Department of Education reported data
Studying can be challenging, especially when you’re also juggling work and other life commitments. You’re not studying 9-5, Monday to Friday, which is why we provide personalised, extended hour support services – including on weekends – so you can get help when you need it.
Dedicated Student Adviser support to help with your studies
Every UniSA Online student will have have access to dedicated support by our Student Adviser team, who have specific knowledge about the degree you're enrolled in. It’s what makes the UniSA Online study experience unique from other online providers. You can be confident that by studying with UniSA Online, you’ll be supported by people who genuinely care about your success.
Online tutor support seven days a week
UniSA Online tutors are available to answer your questions seven days a week – even on week nights. Our tutors specialise in online teaching, and will provide highly personalised support tailored to your needs. They’ll provide guidance on your assignments, as well as provide advice on writing and referencing. If you’ve got a question related to your course, you can expect to receive a response in 24 hours.
24/7 tech support
You don’t need to be a tech expert to study online. Our IT Help Desk are on available 24/7 to provide assistance with your computer set up, connection to UniSA wireless, student email and other UniSA Apps and student applications. You’ll be able to get support via a range of channels including online enquiry, email and phone.
24/7 digital environment
Our interactive online environment is a one-stop-shop for all your study needs. You’ll be able to track your progress through the student dashboard, plan your study schedule, receive reminders on due dates for tasks and assessments, as well as collaborate and network with a community of other like-minded students.
Using innovative technology in online education, your study experience will be highly personalised based on your learning activities throughout your degree. Just like your own personal study coach, you’ll get tailored feedback to enhance your learning outcomes and ensure you’re successful in your studies.
What others are saying
What you'll learn
As a construction professional, you’ll use your technical and practical knowledge to analyse problems concisely, meet administrative requirements, and understand the ideas and skills of allied disciplines.
Your studies will begin with introductory courses to give you a solid grounding in important areas including:
- construction management and materials
- economics and law for construction professionals
You’ll then move into intermediate and advanced studies, developing your technical, analytical and practical skills in areas such as:
- scheduling and estimating
- contract administration
- building and quantity surveying
- sustainable construction and construction environmental science
Studying 100% online means you can engage with course materials at your own pace, whenever it suits you – there is no need to be online at a particular time. It’s flexible around your life so you can control your study schedule week by week. As a general rule, we recommend 10 to 15 hours of study a week for each course.
We have some great tools that will help you organise your study schedule. Your personalised learning planner allows you to keep on top of assessments and study workload while managing work and personal commitments.
All assessments, including exams (if required) are 100% online, meaning you’ll never need to travel to submit an assignment or find an exam venue.
Some of your assessments may include:
- an industry-relevant project
- an online presentation
- essays and reports
As a general rule of thumb, any desktop or laptop computer purchased in the past three years should be capable of meeting your online learning needs. While mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones will be able access most of your online course content, there are likely to be elements of most courses where we recommend you use a desktop or laptop computer.
Your computer should be able to:
- run a modern browser (Internet Explorer 10, Firefox 24, Safari 5, or Chrome 32 or later versions)
- run Java, and in some cases Flash (devices running on Apple's iOS operating system, such as iPads, iPhones, do not run Flash)
- run programs to create documents, spreadsheets and presentations
- use a web camera and headset (or ear pods with microphone)
Access free IT software and resources
All students will have free access to the full Office 365 ProPlus suite, which includes applications such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Every student has access to install the full suite on five different devices - so you'll be able to access it on a computer in the office, on a laptop to use when travelling, and on a home computer. You can also run Office Mobile for Android or Office Mobile for iPhone on up to 5 mobile devices.
There are some degrees that have specialised software requirements. We've made this software available to students to acccess for free - you'll be able to download and install any of the required programs on your own device anywhere and anytime. See if your degree requires specialised software.
Check your device
Our computer system test will determine if your device has the base system resources and software required to study online. It'll also check the speed of your internet connection.
See if your computer, laptop or device is all set up and ready to go – it takes just a few seconds.
The application process is easy – just follow these simple steps:
- Check your eligibility
Take our eligibility checker and answer a few short questions to see if you’re eligible. You’ll be given an option to request a call back, continue your application or save it for later.
- Receive your conditional offer
Once you complete the eligibility checker, you’ll receive an email with your conditional offer to start studying with UnISA Online. It will have all the information you need to complete your application.
- Complete your application and send through your documents
In order to proceed with your conditional offer, you’ll need to complete your application and provide required evidence of your previous study or work experience.
That’s it! Once you hit submit, your application will be assessed within three business days.