This degree is only available to Australian students
You're considered an Australian student if you are any of the following:
- Australian or New Zealand Citizen
- Australian Permanent Resident (including Humanitarian Visa holders)
Study on demand – a 100% online digital media degree designed specifically for online learning. Take full control over your study - access support seven days a week, engage with content from day one of your course, view learning resources 24/7, and log into the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
Our digital media degree brings together the latest thinking in design, media and technology.
At the end of your degree, you'll come out as an excellent visual storyteller with a broad foundation in essential design skills including video and documentary production, animation and visual effects, digital humanities and graphic design.
You’ll use your creativity to craft compelling interactive experiences for web, mobile and social channels across diverse sectors.
As you develop technical knowledge, you’ll get hands-on experience in a range of digital platforms, working through creative processes used in the industry.
Study Digital Media on Demand
Dr Claire Aitchison, Academic Developer: UniSA Online gives an insight into what the Digital Media degree is about, and how the degree has been designed to suit busy adults on the go.
Why Bachelor of Digital Media
Practical experience is an important focus of this degree, ensuring you graduate with a digital portfolio of work that you can use in your next job interview.
Our teachers have years of professional experience so you’ll be learning from some of the most experienced, innovative and tech-savvy people in the field.
You will also benefit from our close relationships with industry experts. We have strong relationships with creative agencies such as Kojo Productions, Frame Creative and the Media Resource Centre.
In a dynamic and innovative field, staying on top of digital trends is important. Your studies will cover the most current practices using the latest technologies and digital media that are leading and informing the way we communicate.
You’ll learn in an immersive online environment, supported by designers and educators skilled in a variety of digital media disciplines.
If you are a creative type, deadline-driven, and you enjoy seeing a project through from conceptualisation to completion, a career in digital media could be for you.
You’ll graduate ready to pursue a range of roles in the creative digital media industry.
Careers to consider:
- Virtual reality curator: manage the acquisition, preservation, display and promotion of innovative virtual and/or augmented reality collections
- Digital collection and innovations manager: oversee the introduction and preservation of digital collections of visual, audio, video and textual material within library environments
- Online archive curators: manage online collections from libraries, archives, historical societies and museums, creating searchable databases of historic physical artefacts
- Web designer: create, develop and maintain the visual and technical aspects related to website design
- Document production specialist: design, develop and create interactive documents and digital publications
- Digital archiving: preserve and store digital information
- Graphic designer: use industry-specific software to design and produce print, web and multimedia products
- Digital manager: create digital content and managing the technological developments within physical and online museum environments
Study On Demand
Our online career-focused degrees give you full control and ultimate flexibility over your study. It’s Study On Demand, on your schedule, on your terms.
- 100% online - no need to come onto campus
- Four start dates in January, March, June and September
- Learn in bite-sized 10-week blocks
- 24/7 access to learning resources
- Online student support services seven days a week
- All content available from the start of your course
- Flexible around your life
- Plan your study schedule ahead of time
- One minute online credit check
Why UniSA Online?
Our graduates get jobs
You will be studying with a university known for its employment outcomes. Your UniSA degree is more than just a piece of paper – it will prepare you to start your career, or take it to the next level. In fact, we’re ranked in the top ten in Australia for online students who find full time employment1.
Specifically designed for online learning
Our team of academic and online experts have created interactive and media-rich course material using innovative digital technology and state-of-the-art teaching and learning resources. Every degree has been specifically designed for online learning to ensure you graduate with the skills and knowledge for your future career.
Backed by industry
Every UniSA Online degree is overseen by an experienced industry advisory board. We've also consulted with industry experts with a wealth of experience to design course content that reflects the most cutting-edge developments in your field. Our industry connections will enrich your online study experience - you'll be presented with industry problems that real organisations face. You'll also gain the skills and knowledge that industry are telling us they need in graduates.
Expand your professional network from wherever you are
Online study doesn’t mean studying on your own. You’ll connect with a community of other like-minded students – you’ll be able to share, debate and collaborate ideas through virtual classrooms, online chat, video conferencing, and online communication tools.
12015 Department of Education reported data
Studying can be challenging, especially when you’re also juggling work and other life commitments. You’re not studying 9-5, Monday to Friday, which is why we provide personalised, extended hour support services – including on weekends – so you can get help when you need it.
Dedicated Student Adviser support to help with your studies
Every UniSA Online student will have have access to dedicated support by our Student Adviser team, who have specific knowledge about the degree you're enrolled in. It’s what makes the UniSA Online study experience unique from other online providers. You can be confident that by studying with UniSA Online, you’ll be supported by people who genuinely care about your success.
Online tutor support seven days a week
UniSA Online tutors are available to answer your questions seven days a week – even on week nights. Our tutors specialise in online teaching, and will provide highly personalised support tailored to your needs. They’ll provide guidance on your assignments, as well as provide advice on writing and referencing. If you’ve got a question related to your course, you can expect to receive a response in 24 hours.
24/7 tech support
You don’t need to be a tech expert to study online. Our IT Help Desk are on available 24/7 to provide assistance with your computer set up, connection to UniSA wireless, student email and other UniSA Apps and student applications. You’ll be able to get support via a range of channels including online enquiry, email and phone.
24/7 digital environment
Our interactive online environment is a one-stop-shop for all your study needs. You’ll be able to track your progress through the student dashboard, plan your study schedule, receive reminders on due dates for tasks and assessments, as well as collaborate and network with a community of other like-minded students.
Using innovative technology in online education, your study experience will be highly personalised based on your learning activities throughout your degree. Just like your own personal study coach, you’ll get tailored feedback to enhance your learning outcomes and ensure you’re successful in your studies.
What you'll learn
The Bachelor of Digital Media is an innovative degree that gives you the technical skills and capabilities for a career in the creative media industries.
You will learn about:
- digital humanities, and you’ll develop skills in video and documentary production
- the creative process, digital forms of interactive text and image making, web design, multimedia and digital design
- historical and cultural views of contemporary media scapes within the digital environment
- how the GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museum) sector has been radically transformed by technological innovation
You can tailor your degree to your interests and broaden your career prospects through your choice of electives. You can select four electives from any other UniSA Online degrees.
Studying 100% online means you can engage with course materials at your own pace, whenever it suits you – there is no need to be online at a particular time. It’s flexible around your life so you can control your study schedule week by week. As a general rule, we recommend 10 to 15 hours of study a week for each course.
We have some great tools that will help you organise your study schedule. Your personalised learning planner allows you to keep on top of assessments and study workload while managing work and personal commitments.
All assessments, including exams (if required) are 100% online, meaning you’ll never need to travel to submit an assignment or find an exam venue.
Some of your assessments may include:
- an industry-relevant project
- an online presentation
- essays and reports
Please note, courses may not be displayed in order of study.
As a general rule of thumb, any desktop or laptop computer purchased in the past three years should be capable of meeting your online learning needs. While mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones will be able to access most of your online course content, there are likely to be elements of most courses where we recommend you use a desktop or laptop computer. Your computer should be able to:
- run a modern browser (Internet Explorer 10, Firefox 24, Safari 5, or Chrome 32 or later versions)
- run Java, and in some cases Flash (devices running on Apple's iOS operating system, such as iPads, iPhones, do not run Flash)
- run programs to create documents, spreadsheets and presentations
- use a web camera and headset (or ear pods with microphone)
Access free IT software and resources
As a UniSA Online student, you'll:
- Get free access to the full Office 365 ProPlus suite, which includes full versions of Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, OneNote, Publisher, Access and Lync software. Install the full suite on up to five different devices (PC and Mac compatible).
- Get free access to Adobe Creative Cloud - access the entire collection of Adobe desktop and mobile apps, including essentials like Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator.
- Get 1Tb of personal storage that syncs with your PC or mobile device through OneDrive - it's like an extra hard drive that allows you to open any of your files from any of your devices, whenever you need them.
- Get free access to Lynda.com - Access more than 5000 video courses on a broad range of topics such as: the Microsoft Office suite, time management and study skills, health and wellbeing, communication and presentation skills, photography, film making and designing your own games or mobile apps.
- Be able to connect with others using Skype for Business, Yammer and the Outlook Web App.
There are some degrees that have specialised software requirements. We've made this software available to students to access for free - you'll be able to download and install any of the required programs on your own device anywhere and anytime. See if your degree requires specialised software.
Check your device
Our computer system test will determine if your device has the base system resources and software required to study online. It'll also check the speed of your internet connection.
The application process is easy – just follow these simple steps:
- Check your eligibility
Take our eligibility checker and answer a few short questions to see if you’re eligible. You’ll be given an option to request a call back, continue your application or save it for later.
- Receive your conditional offer
Once you complete the eligibility checker, you’ll receive an email with your conditional offer to start studying with UnISA Online. It will have all the information you need to complete your application.
- Complete your application and send through your documents
In order to proceed with your conditional offer, you’ll need to complete your application and provide required evidence of your previous study or work experience.
That’s it! Once you hit submit, your application will be assessed within three business days.